Working Visas

To work in Switzerland as a foreign national, you generally need a work permit, also known as an employment authorization. The type of work permit you require depends on various factors, including your nationality, the duration, the nature of your employment and your qualifications. 

Short-Term Assignments ( < 90 days)

For short-term assignments, citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member states generally don't need a work permit. However, they may need to register their employment with the local authorities.

L Permit (Short-Term)

Non-EU/EFTA citizens coming to work in Switzerland for up to 12 months usually require an L permit. The employer needs to demonstrate that no suitable candidate from Switzerland or the EU/EFTA is available for the position.

B Permit 

The B permit is for non-EU/EFTA citizens planning to work in Switzerland for longer than 12 months. It is initially issued for one year and can be renewed annually, subject to employment continuation.

C Permit

The C permit is a long-term residence and work permit. It provides non-EU/EFTA citizens with the right to reside and work in Switzerland indefinitely. It is typically granted after several years of continuous legal residence in Switzerland.

G Permit 

The G permit is for individuals who reside in a neighboring EU/EFTA country but work in Switzerland. It allows them to commute across the border for employment purposes. 

Swiss/EU/EFTA Spouse or Registered Partner

If you are the spouse or registered partner of a Swiss citizen, EU/EFTA citizen, or holder of a C permit, you are generally eligible to work in Switzerland without a separate work permit.

Want to know more?